Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Lowell Skoog - Clippings, Snoqualmie Pass Area
Seattle Times Rotogravure, Mar 10, 1929 - "The Mountaineers Annual Winter Sports Carnival"At Snoqualmie Lodge, photos of Miss Hermia Thompson leading the field in the women's ski race, Dr. Otto P. Strizek practicing for the Harper Cup ski race (which he won), R.E. Ellis skiing in swallowtail coat and stovepipe hat, and Miss Peggy Randall crashing in the snow.
Seattle P-I, Jan 22, 1934 - "Mayor Opens Seattle Ski Plant At Pass"Mayer John Dore declared the new Seattle Park ski hill at Snoqualmie Pass officially open on January 21. "Mayor Dore stated that the Snoqualmie plant was but the first step toward development of skiing activity here, and toward making Seattle a winter as well as a summer paradise for tourists. Miss Marguerite Strizek of the Seattle Ski Club won the honor of being named Queen for the occasion after a competition in which seven clubs were represented. Jumping and slalom demonstrations were also given. Steady rain fell during the opening ceremonies.
Seattle Times Pictorial, Apr 30, 1967, p. 4 - "Skiing's 'Good Old Days' At Snoqualmie Pass"William C. Hall, who served as chief engineer for the Seattle Park Department, remembered the early days at Snoqualmie Pass. "In 1931 there were no facilities for the skiers. As the sport grew in popularity, something had to be done. Finally three public agencies cooperated to provide ample facilities for the number of skiers at the time." The Seattle Park Department built a ski building about the size of a double garage. The Forest Service had a small area cleared for a ski hill. The State Highway Department built Traveler's Rest. This building (the restrooms at the eastern end of the pass on the north side of the highway) was still large enough for the crowds at the time this article was published. The article includes photos of the ski hill and warming hut, past and present.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page