Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Washington State Historical Society - Ephemera (selected)
* Lowell Skoog has a copy of each item marked with an asterisk.
EPH 796.93 Ed21w 1936 - Eddie Bauer Winter Sports Guide for 1936-37 *This is a fascinating color booklet which, unfortunately, WSHS Research Center staff will not photocopy, except for the covers. It contains the following sections:
In August 2006, Jack Leeper graciously sent me a CD-ROM in which he placed the scanned pages of this booklet. I have stored it with my other digital photocopies.
- "How to Ski." This section offers advice on selecting skis and other equipment, caring for skis, skiing on the level, holding the poles, kick turns, hill climbing, double stemming (snowplow), telemark, open christiana, and jumping for beginners.
- Spaced throughout the booklet are double-page relief maps showing ski trails at the following areas: Paradise, Snoqualmie Pass (the 18-mile tour to Stampede Pass is shown), Mt Baker (the tour to Camp Kiser is shown), Stevens Pass, Deer Park (a six mile tour to Obstruction Point is shown), and the Chinook-Cayuse Pass region.
- A ski waxing chart.
- "Why Wax" by Fritz Wiessner.
- "Bauer's Ski Map of Western Washington." A double-size foldout color map of the state showing the location of Deer Park, Mt Baker, Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Chinook Pass and Paradise. Each ski area is illustrated with an inset B&W photograph. The map shows the location of lodging and services near each area.
- "We Juniors" by Ken Binns. Skiing for youngsters.
- "Skiing...a Triple Season Sport."
- "Spring Skiing" by Orville Borgersen. Mentions the Paradise to White River traverse of Mt Rainier by Borgersen, Otto Strizek and Ben Spellar.
- 1937 tournament schedule.
- Lots of ads, plus a catalog of clothing and equipment offered by Eddie Bauer.
EPH 796.93 S18n 1938 - Seattle Ski Club, 9th Annual Tournament, 1938This pamphlet lists the officials and competitors at the tournament held at Snoqualmie Summit on March 6, 1938.
EPH 979.759 L487s 1937 - Leavenworth Winter Sports Club, 9th Annual Ski Tournament, 1937This pamphlet lists the officials and competitors at the 7th annual PNSA championships and 9th annual Leavenworth tournament held on February 7, 1937.
EPH-B 979.77821 R13s 1937 - Rainier National Park Ski Brochure, 1937-38 *The brochure lists rates at the Paradise Inn, Paradise Lodge, and Longmire Springs, equipment rentals, and transportation. It includes a trail map and a 1937-38 program of events.
EPH-A 979.77821 R134w 1925 - Rainier National Park Winter Sports Brochure, 1925 *The brochure lists rates at the Paradise Winter Lodge and Longmire Springs inn, equipment rentals, and transportation. It includes photographs of skiers and snowshoers, a dog team, and toboggan slide. It notes that Longmire is reached by motor throughout the winter season while Paradise is reached by "a six-mile trek over a charming trail."
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page