Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home

Mt Rainier National Park, Superintendent's Monthly Reports
These reports were reviewed on microfilm at the National Park Service Columbia Cascade Library (CCL) in Seattle.


Superintendent's Report, June 1917

"It is expected that the road will be open to Narada Falls about July 15th. Automobiles will probably not reach Paradise Valley before August 15th. The Glacier Camp, at the snout of Nisqually Glacier, and Paradise Inn, in Paradise Valley, were opened July 1st. Visitors to Paradise Valley travel on foot from the Glacier via the Glacier Trail. The Rainier National Park Co. operates a pack, saddle pony and sled service to Paradise Valley."

Superintendent's Report, July 1917

"During the entire month the weather conditions were fine. The road was opened for automobile travel to Narada Falls on July 12, only 14 days later than to Nisqually Glacier. It is expected that the road will be open to Paradise Valley by August 10."


Superintendent's Report, July 1918

"The road was opened for automobiles to Paradise Valley on July 6. The automobile road is now in fine condition all the way through... A Ski Tournament was held in Paradise Valley July 7."


Superintendent's Report, June 1919

"At the first of the month the road was open to Nisqually Glacier Station. On June 9 work was started on opening the road to Narada Falls. A maximum of 20 mean and four teams were employed."

The heaviest snow drifts were plowed repeatedly. Scrapers were used but this was discontinued as being too slow. A snow drag or plow was constructed for side hill work and was pulled by two or four horses. A truck reached Narada Falls with the help of a team of horses on June 14. The road was opened for daily use on June 26. On June 16 work was started on the road above Narada Falls. The work included plowing, dragging and blasting snow drifts with dynamite.

"The Northwestern Ski Club held their annual tournament at Paradise Valley on Sunday, June 29, which was attended by several hundred visitors."

Superintendent's Report, August 1919

From July 1 to 16 two teams and a number of men worked at plowing and dragging the road and blasting drifts with dynamite and T.N.T. On Saturday, July 19, the road was opened to public travel. The dates of opening the road to Paradise Valley for the last five years are:
1915, June 15
1916, August 24
1917, August 9
1918, July 6
1919, July 19


Superintendent's Report, December 1920

A winter trip was made by 125 Mountaineers to the Pardise Inn, starting December 28. Their time was occupied by trips to Sluiskin Falls, the saddle of Pinnacle Peak, McClure Rock, and with snowshoeing, skiing and toboganning. On December 31, a party of four men, including the park superintendent, made the trip to Camp Muir, partly on snowshoes. The Mountaineers left the park on January 1, most of them walking from Paradise Inn to Ashford, a distance of 18 miles.

Superintendent's Report, June 1920

"The road to Narada Falls was opened to public travel on Sunday, June 20th... The annual tournament of the Northwest Ski Club was held at Paradise Valley on Sunday, June 27th. There were thirteen contestants. The longest standing jump was 95 feet. The snow was somewhat soft for long jumping. A large audience attended the tournament. 928 visitors entered the park on that day and 822 on the preceeding day, many of whom stayed over for the tournament."


Superintendent's Report, July 1923

"On July 4 the first government truck came through to Paradise and on July 10 the road was open to general traffic... The annual ski tournament held on Alta Vista in Paradise Valley on July 4 was the principal event of interest this month. The record jump of 240 feet was made by Nels Nelson, amateur ski champion of the world. The road was open only to Narada and over a thousand visitors hiked over the snow to Paradise to see the tournament."

Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page

Copyright © 2002 Lowell Skoog. All Rights Reserved.
Last Updated: Wed Dec 30 17:11:00 PST 2009