Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Stella Degenhardt - Photographs
I looked at a few of Stella's photos during our meeting on 27 April 2001. She also showed me some of her late husband Bill's color slides. She mentioned that she did a number of trips with Ira Spring, and suggested that Ira has the better images from those trips. Here are a few that stood out:
Glass mounted color slides by Bill Degenhardt, from April 1947 Lyman Lake ski trip with the Hesseys (18 total). There are a some nice scenic photos from this trip, but most have soft focus.
- #51 - Rick Mack, Chuck and Marion Hessey, and Grant McConnell climb with packs on skis toward Lyman Lake with Bonanza Peak in the background. Chuck and Marion look away from the camera.
- #52 - Chuck Hessey, Rick Mack and Grant McConnell at the door of the Lyman Lake cabin.
- #65 - Rick Mack, Chuck and Marion Hessey (distant) ascend North Star Mountain on skis with Chiwawa Mountain in the background.
- #67 - Bill Degenhardt on skis on the slopes of North Star Mountain with Fortress in the background, close up, looking at the camera (fine, sharp).
Photos by Stella Degenhardt:
- Photos from May 1959 ski trip to Glacier Peak organized by Ira Spring. The party was flown to a camp on the Honeycomb Glacier by Bill Fairchild.
- Photo of Chuck and Marion Hessey on skis, close up, showing faces (fine).
- Photo of John and Irene Meulemans on skis, close up, showing faces (fine).
- Photo of a skier approaching Summerland in winter with a partial cloudcap on the summit of Rainier (fine).
- Photo of Cal Magnusson and Frank Fickeisen on skis, close up, showing faces.
- Photo of Cal Magnusson wielding a chainsaw to clear windfall on the road, during approach to Mt Daniel.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page