Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Joe, Joan and Carla Firey - Photographs and Paintings
On 8 March 2001, Joe lent me three B&W photographs. (I haven't reviewed Joe's B&W collection yet.)
On 26 July 2002 I viewed a showing of Carla and Joan's paintings. The following paintings were noteworthy:
- Photo of ski party in Wells Creek (Coleman) Basin, 1985.
- Photo of Carla Firey on Russell Glacier, 1981.
- Photo of skiers on Silver Star Mtn, 1976.
On 8 August 2002 I reviewed the slide collection held by Carla Firey. The following were in the box labeled "Misc from Van B":
- "Forbidden Cirque," 1962, by Joan Firey. A wintery view of the Forbidden Glacier cirque from the Inspiration Glacier, inspired by a spring ski trip in 1961.
- "Winter Light," 1973, by Joan Firey. Snow flocked trees above a timbered valley with peaks and clouds above. The location looks like either the Table Mountain area or Lookout Mountain.
- "Mt Balfour," Canadian Rockies, 1970, by Joan Firey. A skier descends the Lilliput Glacier.
From the box labeled "Baker Lake, Shuksan 64-70":
- Ski party climbs Eldorado Glacier with the Triad in the background, 1961 (2 slides).
- Skier on Inspiration Glacier with Forbidden Cirque in the background, 1961 (fine). This was the reference image for Joan's 1962 painting, above.
From the box labeled "Mt St Helens":
- Skiers on Mt Hagan, June 1966. This trip included Joe, Joan, and John and Irene Meulemans.
- Skier walking up the Sulphide Glacier, carrying skis, with Mt Shuksan in the background.
From the box labeled "Marble-Snowking 64, 69":
- Ski party rests atop Mt St Helens, April 1959.
- Joe standing on skis, his face visible.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page