Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Mount Rainier National Park - Photographs
On 7/30/2001, curator Deborah Osterberg searched the park database for ski photos. I looked at most (but not all) of the images that sounded interesting and noted them below.
On 1/7/2010, I returned to look through the photo database with curator Brooke Childrey. Due to reprocessing of the collection, I was unable to view actual pictures and we looked at older scans only. We found pictures of the 15th Infantry ski patrol trip from Sunrise to Mowich Lake that I hadn't seen before. I need to visit again when the collection is accessible. During this visit I acquired scans of photos shown below in bold.
- TWC-2860: 1935, "National Champion ski racers." Hannes Schroll and others standing on skis.
- TWC-2866: 1941, "Winter ski crowd at Paradise." Paradise ski area showing buildings, tows, parking lot and crowd (fine).
- TWC-2868: 1935, "Seven skiers on slop." Seven abreast straight running a slope toward the camera with the Tatoosh Range beyond (fine).
- TWC-2870: c. 1930s, "Male skier in a tuck." A good view of the equipment of the period, young skier has a determined look.
- TWC-2874: unknown, "Skiers waiting and on tow lift." Two tows below Alta Vista with the mountain above.
- TWC-2885: 1937, "Ski School." A group of women stand in line above Paradise, one started down and fell, no instructor is visible.
- TWC-2904: unknown, "Line up of skiers, Mt Rainer." Skiers milling about below rope tow pulleys. The mountain appears above with a cloudcap.
- TWC-2906: unknown, "Ski lift activity." Shows crowd with tows and buildings (possibly this was 2905).
- TWC-2910: c. 1934, "Slalom race, Silver Skis." Good view of course on Alta Vista, skier in action, a few spectators. (See also N-4465.)
- TWC-2913: unknown, "Lots of people lining Paradise ski race." Views from the side (with Pinnacle Peak beyond) and above (with Unicorn Peak beyond) of large crowds lining the slalom course, probably for the 1935 National Championships.
- TWC-2916: 1934, "Group on McClure Rock with radio." Silver Skis race attendants with radio and antenna (print #79, same as one of the images N-2890 through N-2896)."
- TWC-2916: 1934, "People watching skier..." Silver Skis race attendants watch skier (small and blurred) pass McClure Rock (print #86, same as one of the images N-2890 through N-2896)."
- TWC-2919: 1937, "Two skiers with sunglasses/goggles." Woman and girl wearing goggles, good view of equipment of the period (1930 is penciled on the folder).
- TWC-2922: P.H. Sceva, Otto Lang and O.A. Tomlinson stand next to Lang's luggage, freshly arrived at Paradise (probably winter of 1936-37).
- TWC-2923: 1935, "Hannes Schroll skiing in race (bib #51)." The "mountain cowboy" races slalom in his Tyrolean hat (fine). This photo appeared in the Seattle P-I. The folder contains a photo of another racer (bib #14), fairly close up.
- TWC-3292: Cayuse Pass ski area parking lot filled with cars, 1940.
- TWC-3730: 13 Feb 1941, "15th Inf. Ski Patrol, Spray Park." Bill Butler photo of troops in close formation with northwest side of Mt Rainier beyond (fine).
- TWC-3731: 1942, "Ski troops at Paradise." Three photos of troops in whites, marching in close formation with skis shouldered (fine).
- TWC-3732: 1941, "Ski Troops." A lone ski trooper at Paradise, perhaps an officer. Who is it?
- TWC-3733: 1941, Three troopers in whites in a snow trench at Paradise with rifles aimed at the camera, Mt Rainier above (fine).
- TWC-3738: 1941, "Ski troops." Four troopers in reversible dark jackets in front of trees with Rainier beyond. This photo was in John Woodward's scrapbook.
- TWC-3739: 1941, Same troopers as previous photo, now on the ground at the foot of the trees, with rifles aimed at the camera. They are virtually invisible.
- TWC-3740: 1941, "Ski troops with tents." Tents erected using skis at Paradise with the mountain above (fine).
- TWC-3741: 1941, "Ski troops." Ski patrol lined up in whites at Paradise with Mt Rainier above (fine).
- TWC-3742: 1941, "Ski troops." Trooper stands with rifle shouldered in a Penguin sleeping bag at Paradise, Mt Rainier above (fine).
- TWC-3743: 1941, "Ski troops with sled." Three troopers on snowshoes guiding a sled (with victim?) on runners (fine).
- TWC-3744: 1941, "Ski troops with sled." Same troopers as in previous picture, now joined by two troopers on skis (fine).
- TWC-3745: 1941, Four troopers lay on snow in front of trees and aim rifles at camera. Same guys as in 3739, but more visible this time because they are in front of the trees.
- TWC-3746: 1941, "Ski troops and Tatoosh Range." Trooper stands with rifle shouldered in Penguin sleeping bag with Eagle Peak and edge of parking lot in background, not as good as 3742.
- TWC-3747: 1941, Three troopers in whites with rifles in a snow trench at Paradise, backs to camera, lodge and Tatoosh Range in background (fine).
- TWC-3748: 1941, Close-up of troopers in whites, two with rifles and one with a machine gun (fine).
- TWC-3750: 1942, Two photos of motorized toboggan at Paradise, one an action shot (fine).
- TWC-3752: 1941, Two troopers next to tent, one cleans his rifle (fine).
- TWC-3753: 10th Mountain Division commemorative plaque above Alta Vista.
- N-4465: Slalom course below Alta Vista. Same camera angle as TWC-2910 but the skier (bib #1) is more upright, better photo.
- N-4549: 1936, Crouched skier in slalom below Panorama Point, generic for the period.
- N-4600: c. 1930s, Bill Butler on skis in park ranger's skiing uniform outside Longmire administrative building.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page