Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Olympic National Park - Photographs
Jacilee Wray of the Cultural Resources Department showed me photos of the Deer Park ski area that had been scanned onto computer. She said the park did not have rights to all these photos. In some cases, it would be necessary to contact the original photographer before publishing them. I imagine they also have photos of the Hurricane Ridge ski area, but I didn't ask about them. I printed copies of several images. The following were noteworthy:
In a folder labelled "Hurrican Ridge, Snow Operations" I noted the following prints:
- FOR.SER.390: "Cars parked at Deer Park area ski tournament." Depicts narrow gravel road on a hillside with mountains beyond.
- FOR.SER.396: "Hot dog dispensary at Deer Park Ski Area." Depicts people outside the day lodge, with mountains in the background (fine).
- FOR.SER.410: "Lunch time at the CCC mess hall, used as winter sports ski hut at Deer Park." Depicts the hut with a group of people outside and the ski slopes in the background.
- FOR.SER.411: "Carl Jacobson making a 47 foot jump at Deer Park Ski Area." The jump hill doesn't seem to be a standard Nordic type with a contoured slope. The landing looks flat.
- FOR.SER.415: "CCC mess hall used as winter sports ski hut at Deer Park." Fewer people in this photo, but a closer view of the hut. No background scenery.
- FOR.SER.430: "Another view of Deer Park Ski Area. 'Dump Off Rock" seen high in center background." Depicts two skiers in open terrain with a small peak above.
- FOR.SER.437: "Deer Park ski area, 'The Needles Mtn' in the background." Depicts a skier standing in an opening among snowy trees. The valleys are cloud filled (fine).
- HALTERMAN.004: "Skiers at Deer Park." Depicts two skiers loading the rope tow.
- HAR.001.010: "Deer Park Ski Lodge." Depicts a skier in the foreground with a good view of the lodge behind.
- SMR.007.001: "Skiing among the clouds at Deer Park Ski Area, elev 6,007 ft." Depicts a skier on open terrain with mountains in the background visible through misty clouds (fine).
- Photo of skiers outside Deer Park lodge (fine).
- Photo of skiers with the Needles beyond.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page