Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Lillian Streeter - Photographs
The Lillian Streeter collection at the WSHS Research Center consists of three albums. At the time I reviewed the collection, only one album had been catalogued and numbered. A portion of this album was titled "First outing of Mountaineers to Paradise Valley, January 1, 1917." The following numbered photographs are noteworthy:
The two uncatalogued Streeter albums contain fewer winter photos. However, one album has what appears to be the Frank Jacobs photo of Paradise Valley referred to above (mtneer-a-1917-p47a). The photo has a studio imprint at the lower-right corner. (Note: On 12 January 2010, WSHS staff was unable to find this picture.) There are also duplicates of a few photos in the first album. There are photos of the Mountaineers Snoqualmie lodge just after its construction in summer 1914. There is also a photo of snowshoers in front of the lodge at the "first snowshoe outing."
- 1922.214.171.124: Party sets out from the National Park entrance in horse drawn sleighs.
- 19126.96.36.199,237: Closeup view of snowshoers standing in front of snowy trees.
- 19188.8.131.52: Two dozen people (3 on skis, the rest on snowshoes) stand in front of snowy trees.
- 19184.108.40.206: Two skiers and two snowshoers stand in front of snowy trees.
- 19220.127.116.11: "Miss Winslow" stands on skis holding two poles and wearing a snowy sweater (fine).
- 1918.104.22.168: Party of snowshoers climbs toward the Muir Snowfield and Gibraltar Rock with Mt Rainier visible above.
- 1922.214.171.1248: Party on Muir Snowfield with Mt Adams in the distance and broken clouds below.
- 19126.96.36.1990: "The whole bunch." About 50 people, some with skis, stand outside the lodge at Paradise.
- 19188.8.131.522: "On the way to Sluiskin." Party crosses footbridge, with Paradise Valley and the Tatoosh Range beyond, similar to the Frank Jacobs photo (mtneer-a-1917-p47a) but the light is not as good in this one.
- 19184.108.40.2064: A snowshoer arrives at the Paradise Inn with the inn and Mt Rainier visible above (fine).
- 19220.127.116.113: Two dozen snowshoers stand in front of snowy trees.
- 1918.104.22.1686: A skier stands in profile near Paradise with Mt Rainier visible above.
- 1922.214.171.1245: L.A. Nelson stands on skis, with poles taller than himself, at Paradise with Mt Rainier visible above (fine).
- 19126.96.36.1998: "Agnes," a woman standing on skis with snowy pants. The print is rather light.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page