Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
10th Mountain Division - Photographs
I reviewed the 10th Mountain Division collection on-line at the Denver Public Library website. I ran "10th mountain" as a keyword search and reviewed the results. I believe the complete collection is not viewable on-line, since I know there are more photos by John Woodward than I found here. (I also ran author searches using "john woodward" and "charles bradley" but did not find any additional photos.) The following photos were notable. (Note: The "TMD" identification provides a link to each image at the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center website.)
John Woodward PhotosCollection 3.1 contains 236 slides taken by John Woodward between 1941-44. They include the 41st Division and the 15th Infantry (3rd Division) ski patrols during the winter and spring of 1940-41. They also include photos of the 87th Infantry Regiment training on Mt Rainier during 1941-42 and the full 10th Division at Camp Hale in 1943-44. Debbie Gemar of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center (Denver Public Library) sent me a list of slide captions for this collection and also for Woodward's collection from Italy in 1945 (collection 3.2).
- TMD-402: Members of the 15th Infantry ski patrol cook outside their tents for a training film, probably near Paradise (1941).
- TMD-403: Members of the 15th Infantry Ski Patrol set up pyramid tents with A&T skis on the west side of Mount Rainier in Washington.
- TMD-404: Members of the 15th Infantry ski patrol hike to snowline on Mt Rainier (1941).
- TMD-405: Members of the 41st Division ski patrol cross a shallow stream in the Olympic Mountains wearing skis (1941, fine).
- TMD-406: Members of the 41st Division ski patrol cook in an atrium created by two one-man tents in Seven Lakes Basin, Olympic Mountains, Washington (1941).
- TMD-407: Members of the 41st Division ski patrol traverse a rocky section on Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains (1941).
- TMD-408: A ski soldier carries a heavy pack and rifle with Mt Rainier rising above (1941, fine).
- TMD-410: Ome Daiber, who helped develop and test equipment for the 10th Mountain Division, stands on skis at Mt Rainier.
- TMD-411: Members of the 41st Division ski patrol pose with ice axes below an ice cliff on Mt Rainier, 1941. (Based on the names in the photo caption, I wonder if these are actually men of the 87th Mountain Infantry, in 1942.)
- TMD-416: John Woodward poses on Homestake Peak, Colorado. He holds an ice axe and wears a helmet and shoulder patch of the 10th Mountain Division.
- TMD-445: Ralph Phelps, commanding officer of the 41st Division ski patrol, in the Olympic Mountains, Washington (1941).
- TMD-454: John Woodward poses outdoors in Plezzo, Italy after the end of World War II.
- TMD-627: Walter Prager jumps a cornice for Otto Lang training film in Sun Valley.
Charles Bradley PhotosSeveral of these photos can be found in Bradley's book, Aleutian Echoes (bradley-1994).
- TMD-932: Soldiers in winter camouflage stand in formation near Paradise, viewed from behind (1942).
- TMD-937: Members of the 87th Mountain Infantry gather outside Tatoosh Lodge at Paradise, Mt Rainier (1942).
- TMD-938: Military ski class near Paradise with Tatoosh Range in the background (1942).
- TMD-939: Capt. Paul Lafferty at Paradise, Mt Rainier (1942).
- TMD-940: Soldiers in whites stand at ease at Paradise, closeup from behind with the Tatoosh Range in the background, partially obscured by clouds (1942).
- TMD-941: Soldiers climb a steep slope near Paradise during snowshoeing practice (1942).
- TMD-942: Military ski class traverses a slope near Paradise with Mt Rainier in the background (1942).
- TMD-944: Soldiers prepare to descend from Camp Muir after the May 1942 ascent of Mt Rainier. Mt St Helens is visible in the distance.
- TMD-945: The day "Sven" was born. A soldier climbs a steep slope near Paradise during snowshoeing practice (1942).
- TMD-946: Military ski instructors stand at ease on a slope above Paradise with the Tatoosh Range in the background. One man practices a snowplow (1942, fine).
- TMD-948: Soldiers in whites stand near trees at Paradise, Mt Rainier, viewed from the side (1942).
- TMD-949: A solder rests among the rocks above Cadaver Gap enroute to Camp 2 on Mt Rainier, May 1942.
- TMD-951: Albert Jackman belays Peter Gabriel as he cuts steps on the face of a crevasse high on Mt Rainier, May 1942 (fine).
- TMD-952: Members of the 87th Mountain Infantry set up pyramid tents at Camp 1 during the May 1942 ascent of Mt Rainier.
- TMD-954: Albert Jackman and Paul Townsend inside an Everest tent on Mt Rainier during the May 1942 ascent (fine).
- TMD-956: Looking down through Cadaver Gap from Camp 2 toward Camp 1 on Mt Rainier, May 1942. Pyramid tents are set up in the foreground (fine).
- TMD-963: Members of the 87th Mountain Infantry rest in fog on the summit rocks of Mt Rainier during the May 1942 ascent.
- TMD-964: Portrait of Lt. John Jay of the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment holding a motion picture camera during the Mount Rainier Test Expedition.
- TMD-966: Corporal Eldon Metzger attaching ski climbers.
Photos from Various Sources
- TMD-280: Walter Prager writes a letter home from Passatore, Italy (1945). Richard Rocker photo.
- TMD-357: The 87th Mountain Infantry in whites stands in formation at Paradise, Mt Rainier with the Tatoosh Range in the background (1942, fine).
- TMD-358: Radio debut of the Latrine Quartet. Ralph Bromaghin plays guitar.
- TMD-359: The 87th Mountain Infantry glee club sings in the Paradise Lodge in 1942. Ralph Bromaghin plays the guitar.
- TMD-360: Walter Prager gives a rappel demonstration at Mt Rainier (1942, fine).
- TMD-363: John Woodward belays Peter Gabriel while ice climbing on Nisqually Glacier (1942, fine).
- TMD-364: Three mountain solders lie in a snow trench during rifle training on Mt Rainier.
- TMD-387: Ski troops in whites descend in a line along a corniced shoulder, above a basin with small alpine trees (fine). The location is Eagle Ridge, near Camp Hale, Colorado. Mac Julian photo.
- TMD-388: Ski troops stand in a semicircle watching a solder practice a turn down a short slope near Camp Hale, Colorado (fine). Mac Julian photo.
- TMD-389: Ski troops in formation perform "about face" on skis at Camp Hale, CO (fine). Mac Julian photo.
- TMD-429: Ralph Bromaghin skis wearing a light sweater, cap and goggles.
- TMD-452: Torger Tokle poses with skis at the Aspen ski jump.
- TMD-614: Sentry with rifle poses in Penguin sleeping bag at Mt Rainier.
- TMD-634: Ski trooper on Saturday Evening Post cover, March 27, 1943.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page
Copyright © 2002 Lowell Skoog. All Rights Reserved.
Last Updated: Thu Jan 28 10:54:49 PST 2010