Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Tacoma Public Library - Photographs
I searched for Mt Rainier winter and ski photos on the Tacoma Public Library website. The following were interesting to me. I haven't reviewed the TPL collection in person.
- Image D7828-7: Paul (Sonny) Sceva, Jr. jumps from the ridge above Edith Creek basin.
- Image 942-2: Skiers outside the Paradise Inn under floodlights at night. Some are skiing on the roof.
- Image D745-24: Crowning Snow Queen Maurita Shank at the 1937 Tacoma Winter Sports Carnival at Paradise, Mt Rainier.
- Image D8012-5: Chauncey Griggs skis on the Paradise rope tow, 1939.
- Image D7873-18: Three women ride the rope tow at Paradise, ca. 1939.
- Image D7080-11: A skier receives instruction at Paradise in during the 1938 Winter Carnival.
- Image D7150-14: Max Hauser races in a special slalom after cancellation of the 1938 Silver Skis race due to poor weather.
- Image D8167-9: Peter Radacher runs in an April 16, 1939 exhibition slalom following the Silver Skis race.
- Image D7080-7: Don Fraser accepts a trophy at the 1938 Tacoma Winter Sports Carnival at Paradise. Also shown are racers Dick Nelson, Don Amick, John Woodward, and Jim Babson.
- Image D2504-26: Dick Durrance, top American finisher at the 1935 U.S. National Championships on Mt Rainier.
- Image D7150-8: Olav Ulland and Hjalmar Hvam perform somersaults on a demonstration jump after the 1938 Silver Skis race was cancelled due to bad weather.
- Image D8167-14: A skier performs a flip during an April 16, 1939 ski exhibition following the Silver Skis race.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page