Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
UW Special Collections - Photographs
The University of Washington Library is continually adding photographs to their on-line digital collection. On 15 October 2004, I searched the digital collection for the keywords "ski," "skier," or "skiing". On 19 January 2010, I searched for the keyword "scenic". This page lists the most noteworthy hits, excluding the Dwight Watson and Mountaineers collections.
Albert H. Barnes Collection, No. 542Intrigued by a photo in the digital collection, I browsed the entire physical Barnes collection (4 boxes). The collection contains only one ski photograph:
- BAR224: Barnes #693 (box 1): "Mid winter Paradise - Man on skis" - A fine, very sharp photo of a man on skis holding a single pole with the Tatoosh Range in the background. In the digital collection, "ca. 1907" has been added to the photo description.
Asahel Curtis Photo Co. Collection, No. 482
- CUR1043: Rustic lodge and grounds, Scenic Hot Springs Hotel, Scenic, Washington, 1913.
Ernst Kassowitz Collection, No. 215
- MPH493: Fine, studio-style photo of Andy Hennig dressed in his Sun Valley ski instructor's uniform leaning on ski poles and smiling into the camera, ca. 1939.
Lee Pickett Collection, No. 580The Pickett collection contains several fine photos of Scenic and Leavenworth skiers and ski jumpers in the late 1920s and early 1930s. On 25 January 2010, I reviewed an old paper index of the collection and compared it to images on the UW digital collection website. I concluded that the skiing pictures in this collection are probably not of interest to this project. Here are a few samples from the digital collection on line:
- PIC0119: Scenic Hotel, Scenic, Washington, ca. 1913.
- PIC0478: Man skiing in the Cascade Mountains, April 15, 1927.
- PIC0642: Women skiing in the Cascade Mountains, probably at Scenic, ca. 1928.
- PIC0684: Women on skis, Scenic, March 17, 1928.
- PIC1283: Ski jump at Leavenworth, January 11, 1930.
- PIC1227: Three men posed on ski slope, Leavenworth, 1930.
- PIC1224: Five women posed with skis, Leavenworth, ca. 1931.
Social Issues CollectionThe Leisure-Skiing (Ec) folder contains the following images from the 1909 Mt Rainier ski trip by Milnor Roberts and friends described in ngm-1909. I visited U.W. Special Collections to inspect this collection by hand, so I've listed here more photos than are currently available digitally.
This folder also contains the following noteworthy photos:
- SOC497: Four people holding skis and snowshoes near a building, possibly in Ashford.
- SOC499: The Roberts party poses outside National Park Inn at Longmire. (Milnora Roberts at left. Milnor Roberts, second from right.)
- SOC498: A woman in the Roberts party skis under a timbered arch.
- SOC496, SOC500, SOC501: Several photos of the Roberts party, in a group, on skis.
- Four skiers, including Milnor and Milnora Roberts, at a rest stop (published in ngm-1909).
- "Standing at the take-off on the jumping course." Milnora Roberts and another women stand holding hands on a small snow hump near trees. Milnor Roberts photo.
- Milnor Roberts and another man put on more clothes in a snow squall near Paradise. Carl F. Gould photo.
- Panoramic shots of two women wearing dresses skiing in a clearing surrounded by tall trees. It's not clear whether these skiers were part of the 1909 Roberts party.
- A man wearing skis gets up from a fall.
- A man with skis rides on the back of a horse (faded).
- Milnor Roberts, dressed in a suit and tie, skis without poles, possibly on the U.W. campus. This is a different photo than mtneer-a-1961-p37, but perhaps taken at the same time. (I believe this is later than 1909, perhaps the 1920s, since Roberts' hair has turned gray.)
- Skiers in thick forest near Laconia (Snoqualmie Pass).
- Skiers at the entrance to a timbered snow-shed (probably near Snoqualmie Pass and Laconia).
- Otto Lang skis a slalom course on Mt Rainier in 1936. (Dwight Watson photo.)
- A woman skier in a halter top stands on skis below Mt Rainier, facing away from the camera, ca. 1936. (Dwight Watson photo.)
- Photos of Dick Durrance and other members of the Dartmouth team skiing at Mt Rainier, ca. 1935. (Not great pictures.)
- Three skiers schuss away from the camera toward the Paradise Inn, ca. 1936 (pre-tow, fine).
- Miscellaneous ski jumping and alpine skiing pictures from Paradise, Milwaukee ski bowl, and Mt Hood, some by Ray Atkeson.
- Mass ("geschmozzel") start of the 1934 Silver Skis race, by Orville Borgersen, fine. Published in bowen-1963-p85b.
Hermann Ulrichs Accession, No. 2138This accession has a many fine photos, including panoramas, that illustrate regions discussed in the 3 July 1973 interview by Karyl Winn with Hermann Ulrichs. (I haven't looked at most of these pictures.) In Folder 1/7 there is a photo taken on 19 April 1946 by Charles Hessey of three skiers resting on the summit of Chiwawa Mountain, looking toward Bonanza Peak. The photo has one stain (could be masked out) but is otherwise fine.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page