Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home
Whatcom Museum of History and Art - Photographs
Archivist Jeff Jewell showed me some of the photographs held at the museum. They have a vast collection of Bert Huntoon pictures, and I saw only a sample.
I looked at one album from the Pagter collection (1996.27) of Bert Huntoon photos. All photos were from the late 1920s or early 1930s.
- "Sky Escalator" (sort of a snow barge) hauling skiers up the Mt Baker ski area in 1936. One photo depicts the escalator up close from the side (fine) and another depicts it from below, at a distance.
- Clark Gable, Loretta Young and Reginald Owen on skis at Mt Baker ski area, during the filming of The Call of the Wild. (This photo, #4842, is not as good as the one in the Ramond Heller book on Mt Baker, as the skis are not fully visible.)
- 1996.27.8: Skier at Austin Pass, thin snow cover, with Mt Baker in the distance, 7 Oct 1931.
- 1996.27.9: Automobile congestion at Heather Meadows.
- 1996.27.42: Lotsa cars at Austin Pass.
- 1996.27.63: Skiers (in the distance) at the site of Mt Baker ski area, view toward Table Mtn.
- 1996.27.70: Skiers (fairly close) at the site of Mt Baker ski area, view toward Mt Shuksan.
- There were many fine Huntoon photos of the old Mt Baker lodge in this album and others.
Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page