Mountaineers catalog number: 2009.8
These notes are by Lowell Skoog. This collection was donated to the
Mountaineers by the estate of Marion Hessey on 8 April 2008. While
compiling these notes, I applied numbers to the slide trays and boxes
using blue masking tape. I refer to these numbers below.
Each tray holds 100 slides and the trays are generally full. For
best quality, look in the sections of the trays that I've noted. (As I
reviewed the slides, I sometimes pulled out good ones and refiled them at
the end of the tray.) My special interest is Washington skiing, so I've
noted slides on this subject which may be of less interest to others.
- Tray 1: Mt Robson skiing 1950, Mt Assiniboine skiing 1952,
Canadian Rockies and Sawtooths in summer.
- Tray 2: Cascades misc, Hogback skiing 1950s (#90 to end).
- Tray 3: Ugly logging, family, Christmas, Gold Hill cabin and
skiing, pre-Crystal Mountain (#69 to end).
- Tray 4: Hessey log house construction 1961, Mt Assiniboine skiing
1952, Canadian Rockies misc.
- Tray 5: Gold Hill cabin summer and skiing, 1960 cabin construction
(#74 to end best).
- Tray 6: New Zealand 1987, Canadian Rockies 1985, Artist Point
- Tray 7: New Zealand 1987.
- Tray 8: Alpine Lakes area 1950s-60s, summer.
- Tray 9: North Cascades, mostly summer (#65 to end best).
- Tray 10: Rocky Mountain parks etc, local domestic photos.
- Tray 11: Alaska-Canada 1985.
- Tray 12: North Cascades, mostly summer (#86 to end best).
- Tray 13: Goat Rocks summer, misc critters and flowers, Goat Rocks
ski 1953 (#91 to end).
- Tray 14: Alpine Lakes summer, W.O. Douglas wilderness, Chiwaukum
ski 1966, Spanish Camp ski 1958 (dupes, #86 to end best).
- Tray 15: Olympic mountains 1970, a few Napeequa-High Pass shots.
- Tray 16: Phelps Pass, Lyman Lake summer, Boulder Pass, Ice Lakes,
White Rock Lakes 1959 (#67 to end best).
- Tray 17: Gold Hill and Crystal Mountain skiing 1940s-60s (#56 to
- Tray 18: Naches Valley scenes, critters, Christmas.
- Tray 19: "Home environs" - Naches Valley scenes.
- Tray 20: North Cascades, mostly summer, Coleman Basin ski (#71 to
- Tray 21: Glacier Peak area, especially Napeequa 1950s and 1982,
White Rock Lakes 1959 (#59 to end best).
- Tray 22: Eureka Creek summer 1976, Methow-Okanogan 1983, Olympic
mountains, Gold Hill skiing (#87 to end).
- Tray 23: Chelan-Sawtooth summer, Skiing Hogback and Goat Rocks
1953 (#82 to end).
- Tray 24: Chelan-Sawtooth summer, Star-Hoodoo ski (#25-27), Spanish
Camp ski 1958 (originals #28-57), Sunny Pass Pasayten ski 1970
(#58-69), Pasayten summer 1958.
- Tray 25: Glacier Peak area, White Rock Lakes 1959 (#1-13), Mt
Rainier (#52-76); Kennedy Hot Springs, 1950s Napeequa (#77-87);
Napeequa 1982 (#88-93), Lyman Lk and Burroughs Mtn ski (#95-98).
- Tray 26: Glacier Peak area, White Pass (#53-81), Totem Pass to
Hanging Gardens (#82-87), White Rock Lakes 1959 (#88-93), Marion on
- Tray 27: Alpine Lakes region including Enchantment Lakes (#66 to
end best), Enchantment Lks ski 1949 (#89-93), Chiwaukum ski 1966
- Tray 28: Misc Cascades, Mt Adams 1948 and Mt St Helens 1952 ski
(#91 to end).
These slides measure two inches by two inches. Every box contains
about 100 slides (or more). Many of the slides are slightly grainy and
the focus is not razor-sharp, so the overall quality of these slides is
typically no better than 35mm slides. There are exceptions.
This box contains miscellaneous photos (in summer) from all over the
Washington Cascades. When the box is open like a book (with the lid on
the left) all of the left row and most of the center row contain such
slides. Some have a magenta cast. In addition, I've separated out
other slides into the following groupings:
- Chuck and Marion Hessey wedding, 1954
- Napeequa Valley, especially glacier shots
- White Rock Lakes, 1959
- Other glacier photos, especially Mt Daniel, Cascade Pass area
- Misc skiing: Spanish Camp, Goat Rocks, Mt Baker, Cleman Mtn
- Gold Hill skiing
- Lyman Lake skiing
- White Rock Lakes, 1959
- Weasel Creek, Agnes Valley, 1955
- Pyramid Peak, Lake Chelan, 1955
- Milham-Mirror Lake, Emerald Park, 1954
- Nevarre on skis and snowshoes
- Oval Lakes
- Anacortes Crossing
- Silver Star (from Goat Peak?)
- West Fork Methow, Snowy Lakes, 1967
- Autumn-Winter local (Naches Valley)
- Alpine Lakes (good shot of Mt Daniel glacier, 1965)
- Mt Adams, 1953
Many of these slides have a significant magenta cast.
- Cascade Pass area, summer
- Goat Rocks, summer
- Hogback, Goat Rocks skiing, 1953-55
- Holden and Lyman Lake skiing (3 slides)
- Fifes Ridge summer
This 7x10x3-inch cardboard box has many 2x2 slides sort of thrown inside.
(I added dividers to keep the slides neat.) This box is currently in a
larger box together with the miscellaneous slides in processing boxes
- Rocky Mountain ski trip, 1954: Sun Valley, Alta, Jackson Hole,
Aspen (Chuck and Marion Hessey with Rick Mack).
- Napeequa Valley via Little Giant, Boulder and High Passes, 1953
and 1956. (1953 trip included 13-year-old nephew Phil Dahl.) There
are many historically significant photos of the Napeequa Glaciers.
- Naches Valley scenes (labeled as "local domestic"). One slide
depicts Chuck Hessey skiing on Cleman Mountain.
The box contains miscellaneous photos from throughout the Cascades,
most of low quality. Some have a significant magenta cast. There are a
few skiing pictures from the Muir Snowfield (1953) and Mt Baker ski area
(1955). There are two photos of skiers on top of Crystal Mountain
(mid-1950s), where the ski lodge now stands, with Mt Rainier in the
Most of these are 2x2 slides but a few are 35mm.
Unless otherwise noted, all pictures are in summer.
Box A - Chroma Color Lab
- Methow-Pasayten scenes
- Lake Chelan, Pyramid Peak
- Chiwawa, Icicle Rivers
- Oval Peak summit
Box B - Chroma Color Lab
- Misc 35mm ski photos, good quality
- 2x2 ski photos: Chiwaukum 1966, Goat Rocks 1953, Gold Hill, Hogback
- Chiwaumum ski 1966
- Snowy Lakes summer
Boxes D, L, N, O, P, T
Misc Cascades and/or Olympics
Boxes E, F, G, H, I, J, K, Q, R, S, Y
Lyman Lake ski
Boxes U, X
Napeequa Glacier (1) and misc
Box V - 35mm
Local (Naches Valley) scenes, developed Aug 1990
Box W - 35mm
Gold Hill cabin construction 1960,
photo of Chuck and Marion Hessey eating ice cream
Sheet 1 - 2x2
While scanning selected slides, I removed a few of them from glass
mounts. My scanner cannot accommodate these mounts, and the mounts seem
to encourage the growth of redish mold (rust?). So I placed these slides
in an archival page. I've stored the page in the larger box containing
the "miscellaneous slides in processing boxes."
- Marion Hessey, Tom Lyon and Dorothy Egg ski across McCall Basin,
29 Mar 1953.
- Cars at Morse Creek on the Chinook Pass highway, 10 Apr 1955.
- Gold Hill (Crystal Mountain) powder skiing, 1950s.
- Tom Lyon views Mt Rainier from Hogback Mtn, 27 Mar 1953.
- Two skiers traverse Hogback basin enroute to Shoe Lake, 26 Mar
- Tom Lyon (shirtless and on skis) views Old Snowy, Mar 1953.